The Church of God in Christ

The Symbol of the Church Of God In Christ is an outgrowth of the Presiding Bishop's Coat of Arms which has become quite familiar to the Church. The design of the Official Seal of the Church was created in 1973 and adopted in the General Assembly in 1981 (April Session).

The obvious GARNERED WHEAT in the center of the seal represents all of the people of the Church Of God In Christ, Inc. The ROPE of wheat which holds the shaft together represents the Founding Father of the Church, Bishop Charles Harrison Mason, who, at the call of the Lord, banded us together as a Brotherhood of Churches in the First Pentecostal General Assembly of the Church, in 1907.

The date in the seal has a two-fold purpose; Firstly, to tell us that Bishop Mason received the baptism of the Holy Ghost in March 1907; and, Secondly, to tell us that it was because of this outpouring that Bishop Mason was compelled to call us together in November of 1907, to organize the Church Of God In Christ.


The RAIN in the background represents the Latter Rain or the End-time Revivals which brought about the emergence of our Church along with other Pentecostal Holiness Bodies in the same era. The rain also serves as a challenge to the Church to keep Christ in the center of our worship and service, so that He may continue to use the Church Of God In Christ as one of the vehicles of Pentecostal Revival before the return of the Lord.

Our Affirmation of Faith

  • We believe the Bible to be the inspired and only infallible Word of God.
  • We believe that there is One God, eternally existent in three Persons; God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
  • We believe in the Blessed Hope, which is the rapture of the Church of God, which is in Christ at His return.
  • We believe that the only means of being cleansed from sin, is through repentance, faith in the precious Blood of Jesus Christ and accepting the Gospel according to Romans 10:9 & 10.
  • We believe that regeneration by the Holy Ghost is absolutely essential for personal salvation.
  • We believe that the redemptive work of Christ on the Cross provides healing for the human body in answer to believing in prayer.
  • We believe that the baptism in the Holy Ghost, according to Acts 2:4, is given to believers who asks for it.
  • We believe in the sanctifying power of the Holy Spirit, by whose indwelling, the Christian is enabled to live a Holy and separated life in this present world, Amen.


McGlothen Temple Church of God in Christ History
 
The first services of the Richmond Community Church of God in Christ in Richmond, California were held in 1925 at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Willie (Annie E.) Miles on Alamo Street.  Thereafter, services were held from house to house.  Elder S.W. Harrison of Eighth and Center Streets, in Oakland came to Richmond twice weekly to help in formally organizing a Church of God in Christ and thus became the first Pastor. 
 
Mrs. Lydia Graves of Richmond went on vacation to Texas, where she was saved.  Upon her return, Sister L. Graves became the first sanctified person to live in Richmond.  She later served as Assistant Church Mother.
 
Elder Harrison and the few saints obtained a church building at 1452 Filbert Street.  Services were held at this site for several years.
 
Upon Elder Harrison's resignation as Pastor, Elder F.E. Fears was appointed Pastor and served for several years.
 
Elder S. Heyman served as a Pastor following Elder Fears.  He and the saints worked hard and faithfully to secure lots on which a small church was built.  Elder Heyman and others were able to frame The building but not complete it.
 
Elder C.A. Perry served as Pastor following Elder Heyman.  He and the saints completed the church.
 
Bishop G. W. "Dad" McGlothen was appointed pastor in 1941.  After raising enough funds, in October 1945 he began the construction of our current edifice.  It was completed in March 1946.  The new church was dedicated the McGlothen Temple Church of God in Christ in honor of Bishop G. W. McGlothen.  It is well known in the brotherhood through the many accomplishments of Bishop McGlothen, Bishop Clarence Davis and Sr. Administrative John Jennings.
 
McGlothen Temple gained more notoriety as being the home church of Doctor Mattie "Mom" McGlothen. She achieved the highest position in the Church of God in Christ Women's Department, when she was appointed and anointed as the National and International Supervisor of Women of the Churches of God in Christ, Incorporated.
 
Bishop McGlothen served as Pastor until the Lord called him home in 1964.  Bishop Davis was appointed and anointed as pastor in 1964.
 
Bishop Clarence J. Davis was very active in the vineyard.  He was known and respected locally and nationally. Prior to and during his appointment as Pastor; he served as Jurisdictional Prelate of California Northwest Ecclesiastical Jurisdiction, Assistant to Bishop Mathis, Area Superintendent, District Superintendent for the Richmond District, and Chairman of the California Northwest and Church of God in Christ National Women's Finance Departments.
 
Bishop Davis served faithfully until he was elevated from labor to reward in September 28, 1986.  Administrative Assistant John Jennings was appointed and anointed Pastor in 1987.
 
Administrative Assistant John A. Jennings has faithfully continued working in the vineyard. He served as the Senior Administrative Assistant to Emeritus Bishop W. W. Hamilton and continues to serve as Administrative Assistant to Bishop Nathaniel Bullock. He also served as the Chairman of the California Northwest State Finance Department and currently serves as the Chairman of the Ordination Board. He is the founder and Emeritus Superintendent of the Greater Richmond District.
 
From the outset of the initial church, Richmond Community Church of God in Christ through today's edifice, the leadership has set forth goals to build the church's membership continually, while adding and fulfilling the spiritual needs of the members and community.  The addition of specially dedicated buildings - The Bishop Clarence James Davis Educational Building and the Doctor Mattie McGlothen Library/Museum has enhanced the churches outreach ministries.
 
In the brotherhood there are numerous "Sons of The McGlothen Temple" which attest to the leadership of God's appointed and anointed pastors of the McGlothen Temple Church of God in Christ.
 
McGlothen Temple Church of God in Christ is the Mother Church of Richmond, California, which has had open doors for worship for over 91 years.  McGlothen Temple is surely well known throughout the brotherhood - locally, regionally, statewide, nationally and internationally.  The doors of McGlothen Temple seemly never close. Worship activity is continually available for members, surrounding community and the all who wish to worship.  The Pastors who have tended to the care and feeding of the flock and the community are:

1. Elder S. W. Harrison  2. Elder F. E. Fears  3. Elder S.. Heyman
4. Elder C. A. Perry  5. Bishop G. W. McGlothen  6. Bishop Clarence J. Davis
7. Administrative Assistant John A. Jennings

 
 


Order of Services Ministries Legacy Home click to go to home page