McGlothen Temple Church of God in Christ is one of the oldest churches in Richmond, Calif. Organized initially as the Richmond Community Church of God in Christ, the first services were held in 1925 at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Willie Miles. Shortly after, Elder S.W. Harrison helped to formally organize the church and become the first pastor. During this time, Sister Lydia Graves went on vacation to Texas, where she was saved, and upon her return to California, she became the first sanctified person to live in Richmond. After services were held in between the homes of several of the saints, a church building was secured at 1452 Filbert Street. 

The church was led by several pastors during its early years, including Elder F.E. Fears, Elder S. Heyman, and Elder C.A. Perry. During Elder Perry’s pastorate, the construction of a small edifice was completed.

 In 1941, Bishop George W. “Dad” McGlothen was appointed pastor. After raising enough funds, construction began on our current edifice in 1945.  It was completed in March 1946. The church was dedicated as the McGlothen Temple Church of God in Christ in honor of Bishop McGlothen. Dad McGlothen served as pastor for 34 years until the Lord called him home in 1964. 

McGlothen Temple then called upon one of its sons to lead the congregation, and then Elder Clarence Davis was appointed pastor in 1964. Bishop Davis was elected Jurisdictional Prelate of California Northwest Jurisdiction and was appointed to the office on September 23, 1985. He faithfully served McGlothenTemple and California Northwest until he was elevated from labor to reward on September 28, 1986. 

 McGlothen Temple gained national notoriety as the home church of Dr. Mattie "Mom" McGlothen. She served as the National and International Supervisor of Women of the Churches of God in Christ, Incorporated from 1976 until she went home to be with the Lord in 1994. 

 Administrative Assistant John Jennings was appointed pastor in 1987. The church’s campus underwent many improvements under his leadership, including the renovations of the Bishop Clarence James Davis Education Building and the construction and opening of the Mattie McGlothen Library/Museum. He is the founder and emeritus Superintendent of the Greater Richmond District. Pastor Jennings retired after 34 years of faithful and dedicated service on July 25, 2021.

Pastor Willie C. Haynes III took the helm in August 2021becoming the eighth pastor in succession. The San Francisco native is a third-generation member of the Church of God in Christ. He currently serves as president of the California Northwest Jurisdictional Youth Department. He is married to Lady Princess Haynes, and the two are the proud parents of one daughter, Gabrielle Jolee Haynes. 

Known as the "Mother Church," of Richmond, California, McGlothen Temple Church of God in Christ was founded in 1925 and continues to fulfill the spiritual needs of the members and community.